In December 1938, Mrs. Susan Wilt visited Lew Shaw Sr. of Altoona and asked him about holding services in a church building located on Dry Run Road outside of Duncansville. (It was then known as the Dry Run Community Church.) The church building was in need of much repair, and no services had been held there for some time. At that time, Lew Shaw was leading a gospel team that would travel to various places and hold services. Lew agreed, and the first service was held on the first Sunday of January 1939; seven people attended and the offering was 27 cents. The gospel team consisted of two preachers (Lew Shaw, Sr. and his son Lew, Jr.) and a gospel quartet consisting of Tom Vandrew, Bill Shaw, Charles Halton and Lew, Jr. Mrs. Edna Stutzman played the organ. The church became known as the Dry Run Gospel Tabernacle.
In the beginning, services were held every Sunday afternoon. Eventually, Sunday School was held in the morning, and evangelistic services in the evening. The Lord blessed as people continued to come to the services, and souls were being saved. The original building eventually became too small to hold the growing crowds. Land was donated by neighbor Bill Parks, and in March 1960, they were able to break ground for the new building. Our present building is located on this same site. The building was completed and dedicated in 1962.
Pastor Lew Shaw, Jr. pastored the church for 28 years from its inception. Pastor Shaw went home to be with the Lord in 1967, having been stricken with cancer, and is buried in the cemetery behind the church.
On November 19, 1967, Pastor Daniel Hummel was called to pastor the church. In 1968, the mortgage on the church was paid, and a mortgage burning ceremony was held. The church continued to grow, and it soon became evident that a larger building was necessary. In 1973, the congregation began to build a new addition, an auditorium that would seat 1,200 people. Pastor Hummel resigned as pastor in January 1975 to go into evangelism.
In February 1975, Pastor Bruce Weil was called to pastor the church. On March 19, 1978, a fire broke out in the main building and burned it to the ground. After the fire, construction stepped up on the new auditorium. On Sept. 3, 1978, the auditorium was completed, but construction continued on an addition of Sunday School classrooms. In September 1979, the Sunday School addition was complete, and we began to use the addition on the first Sunday of October.
In January 1985, Pastor John Leatherman became pastor of our church, and has been our faithful pastor ever since. He continues to preach God’s Word and lead our congregation.
In January 2002, the church officially changed its name to Dry Run Independent Baptist Church.
Our passion continues to be reaching souls for Christ and discipling believers both here in the Altoona/Blair County/southeastern Cambria County area and all over the world.